Sunday, July 31, 2016

Mr Black Deluxe Plus Vs Strymon Flint - Spring Reverb & Tremolo Shootout!

This battle was surprisingly close on sound. I wont be able to explain the nuances, so just go watch my Youtube video comparing the two.




My Youtube Shoot Out: https://youtu.be/QoUbfb32fEM

The only thing disappointing me on the Mr Black was the switch. Its the hardest to engage switch out of any of my pedals and there is an audible pop when doing so in both the room and your mix.

Looks: Mr Black wins...Cause Palm trees.
Switch shootout: Hands down the Flint. Strymon switches are probably the best out there.
Mix Control Shootout: Flint allows you to get a wetter mix.
Speed Shootout: Mr Black goes both slower and slightly faster than the Flint.
Intensity Shootout: The Mr Black has a bit more intensity and a choppier feel over all.

I felt the Mr Black had a bit more attitude and I enjoyed the character of sound more than I did the Flint. But not by much.

The fact is on the control ability front, the Flint gives you a ton more options than the Mr Black.

Flint gives you the ability to:

Global
Turn on or off the tremolo seperatly (Can be done on Mr Black, but you must fiddle with knobs and there isn't a switch to do so)

Tremolo Side
Boost or cut the tremolo
Set tap divisions for the tremolo
Tap tempo
Effect order: Trem Into Verb or Verb Into Trem

Reverb Side
Boost or cut the reverb
Adjust the done of the reverb
Adjust the decay of the reverb

I liked the sound of the spring reverb more on the Mr Black. But, I wanted to dial back the decay just a little bit and could not.

For character of sound I'd go with the Mr Black Deluxe Plus.
For control ability, hands down the Flint wins.

3 comments:

  1. This was a good demo/post on these too pedals. I'm looking for a Mr. Black Deluxe Plus now...may look at replacing the switch if I get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a Ventris has been overkill for me, find myself very distracted with all the posibilities, when i just need a killer Spring Reverb...

    Both seem good, but the Deluxe Plus has some big Mojo, even if the Flint has more features the Spring of the Mr Black sounds fuller, and the Tremolo more present.

    Seems that MORE doesn't equals BEST...going to try that Mr Black (I currently have a Bloodmoon so i have big confidence in genius of Jack Deville)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig the variety available on the Strymon, but the simplicity of the Mr Black is hard to overvalue, and overall it sounds as good if not better, depending on the settings. In a live band mix, I think the Strymon's available subtleties would be lost, much of the time. For a solo performer, the Strymon for sure, but in a band, the Mr Black.

    An updated version of the Mr Black, the Deluxe Deluxe Plus, offers separate on/off switches for trem and verb, which makes it even more useful and easy to manage.



    ReplyDelete