Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fulltone OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Drive


This was my first overdrive pedal, so I didn't know how it would react with my amp. The first concern I had when buying the Fulltone OCD was how well it would work with my Peavy Vypyr. Typically overdrive pedals are made to take tube amps and push them into overdrive.

You can learn more about transtube technology at the below link.
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/chapter_3.pdf

Given the rave reviews of the pedal. I decided to give it a shot. I'd watched a couple demo's on youtube and the thing seemed to have pretty good sound.

Anyways, here are the controls.



Controls:Volume: yea...
Tone: Shapes your tone, treble vs bass.
Drive: Amount of distortion, you can roll it all the way down for a clean boost.

Toggle:
High Peak:
This mode gives you Vox/Marshall type sounds. Increased bottom end to give a "British" feel.
Low Peak: More vintage sounding, very transparent. Less volume.

This pedal is awesome. Thick rich creamy overdrive. Just like the paint job ;) This thing has the ability to be very very subtle, as well as in your face. I'd read reviews that it was thin? I haven't seen this at all. I also haven't been able to dial in an un-usable sound on it. It is very transparent on both the guitar and amp tone. Had my Vypyr emulating a Fender Twin on the clean channel, and this pedal just made my amp its bitch.


The first cool thing about this pedal is that you can run it on any adapter up to 18V. Apparently doing so gives this pedal even more tones and possibilities. Running it a higher voltage gives it more "head room" IE different dynamics when rolling back the volume, more clean sounding etc...

You can roll back the volume and your sound cleans up. The pedal also works with your playing dynamics. If you play harder, the more signal your pumping into the pedal, the more distorted the tone will become. If you back off the volume, it cleans up.



With overdrive no longer is distortion just on and off, now it adjusts. So its like an orgy of tone between your guitar, the pedal, and the amp.

This pedal is also small, about the size of a smart phone which is a definite plus. It is also True Bypass.

It's simple. You can plug and play, I haven't found an un-usable setting yet. I literally sat down for 2 hours and just got lost in playing with this thing. Absolutely love it.

I stacked this up with a Fulltone Catalyst on both fuzz settings and clean boost settings, and man does this sucker sing. I typically dislike the Catalyst for the most part, but teamed with this pedal is a winning combination. It adds just that little extra umph to give you TONS of harmonic saturation and sustain.



Pros
It cleans up well with the volume knob, and it responds to your playing dynamics very well.
Runs on 9V Battery or Adapter
Can run at 18V with adapter
Small footprint
True bypass
2 Modes of operation: High Peak/Low Peak
Can be used as a clean boost.

ConsNONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment